Knowledge and Character for Leadership and Service
The Work of the Senate
The Senate shall include:
- Provost (chair)
- One dean from each faculty
- Regular faculty members numbering at least twice the number of members in (a)-(c) above evenly coming from each faculty and including the Registrar and the Library Director
- Director of Student Development
- Director of Athletics
- One student from each school
All members shall have a vote, except the Provost.
The Board delegates to the Senate primary authority and responsibility for curricular, co-curricular and other program matters. The role of the Senate is policy formation with regard to curriculum and other programmatic areas (e.g., student development, athletics, records), educational assessment, accreditation, and the promotion of general educational vitality. The Senate shall maintain a set of bylaws by which it will operate and which will include standing committees. The Senate shall have authority to appoint ad hoc committees and delegate authority to such as needed.
View the Senate members.
Specifically, the Senate has oversight responsibility for:
- Appointment of members to the faculties under the oversight of the Human Resources Committee of the Board,
- Regular reports to the Board on program outcomes,
- Program delivery including the curriculum, library resources, and co-curricular activities in fulfillment of the Institutional mission,
- Establishment of the annual academic calendar/catalogue,
- Recommendations to the Board regarding the establishment or termination of academic programs, and
- Relationships with external academic bodies (e.g., universities, accrediting agencies).
- Providing for the social, spiritual, physical, and academic growth of students,
- Providing co-curricular activities for students including residence life,
- Ensuring positive student retention,
- Admission of applicants,
- Registration of students and maintenance of student records,
- Fall and Spring convocation/graduation,
- Standards for graduation,
- Recommending graduates to the Board,
- Approving criteria for awards and scholarships, and
- Approval of honorary degrees proposed by the President.
Planning and Administration
- Collaboration with the Board and Cabinet to develop and maintain longer term strategic plans/directions for the Institution,
- Collaboration with the Cabinet to establish the annual institutional budget.