Immigration Documents


Immigration Documents

New rules that will reduce the potential for fraud or misuse of the program while protecting Canada’s international reputation for high-quality education and improving services to genuine students came into force on June 1, 2014. The new rules will:

  • Limit the issuance of study permits to applicants who will be studying at a designated learning institution, including institutions that are designated by provinces and territories on the basis of meeting minimum standards;
  • Require students to actively pursue their studies while in Canada; and
  • Allow full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs to work part time off campus and full time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit.

Visitors Visa

If you are planning to study in Canada for less than 6 months, you may study as a "Visitor" (temporary resident status) in non-degree programs only; longer-term studies and studies within a degree program require you to have a Study Permit. Students from some countries may also require a Temporary Resident Visa (see below).

Study Permits

If you want to come to Canada to study, you will need to get a study permit and make sure you understand the requirements for travelling while studying in Canada. A study permit is not an entry document. Depending on your country or citizenship, you will automatically be issued a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization when your permit is approved. If you plan to travel outside of Canada while on a study permit, before your trip, always make sure that you have the proper, valid documents to re-enter the country. Learn More

Apply as soon as possible because processing times for Study Permits can range from six to eight weeks depending on the location of the Canada Visa Office (see Visa offices outside of Canada).

To obtain a study permit, you will need to have the following documents:

  1. A valid passport (recommended) or driver's license and birth certificate and marriage (if applicable) certificates.
  2. Your "letter of acceptance" from Providence University College and Seminary (WITH the designated Learning Institute number).
  3. Proof that you have enough money to support yourself (and any dependents) for your first year in Canada (bank statements, letters from people supporting you financially, etc.).
  4. A letter from your sponsoring organization, if you are being sponsored
The study permit will cost $125 CAD. If your spouse or family is accompanying you, they must have proper identification as well (passports or driver's license and birth certificates). Your children (under 18 years old) will not need study permits to attend school in Canada as long as a parent holds a valid study permit. A study permit allows you to work in Canadafor 20 hours during the semester or full-time during the 4 month summer break.

Social Insurance Number

You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit in order to apply for a SIN for on-campus work:

  • May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria

If your study permit does not have one of the above conditions or remarks, you must submit a request for an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee for this request.

Post Graduate Work Permit

Once you graduate from Providence you may also be eligible to obtain a 1-3-year Post Graduation Work Permit to work anywhere in Canada. The cost is $255 CAD

Other available Work Permits

  • Spouse Work Permit: which allows the spouse of a full time Providence student to work and support the family.
  • Work Permits are also available to help complete degree programs that require work experience, an internship, or a practicum. Providence will provide information whether or not you will need a Work Permit as part of your program.

If you have a Study Permit you may work in Canada until your permit runs out. You must apply for a PGWP before. You will, however, be required to complete an immigration medical examination in order to be able to work with children or in health care settings.  For more information, see the International Student Services Coordinator.

Transit Visas

Many countries require a Transit Visa if you are going to be travelling through them on your way to Canada. If you are travelling through other countries on your way to Canada, be sure to ask your travel agent if you need Transit Visas for those countries.

Electronic Travel Authorization

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA. Learn More

Medical Examinations

When applying for Study Permit students from designated countries will be required to pass an immigration medical examination performed by a designated medical practitioner. For students coming from countries where this examination is not required for their Study Permit a medical examination may still be necessary before an internship, practicum, summer camp job or field education service with children or in medical settings can begin. Students coming from a designated country should wait to apply for a Work Permit until after the medical examination is passed.

For more information see:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Consulate Genaral of Canada (Buffalo)
Canadian Embassy in Washington D.C.
American Consular Services

Uniquely Multicultural

Maybe you are shy and you want to work on your English language skills before being more involved at Providence. Or maybe you want to observe and learn more about Canada before venturing out to join music and drama groups or joining a sports team. Gain your courage by trying these options (more focused toward international students):

  • Intercultural Connections: A program that connects a Canadian student to a new international student to help provide an enhanced orientation to Canada. Partners meet once per week to discuss culture over coffee, sports events, and trips into Winnipeg. Canadian hosts and hostesses will try to respond to specific requests by international students as it pertains to education in Canadian culture.
  • International Gym Night: An opportunity for international students to be the gym host and lead activities that interest them. In the past, various games and sports get started and international students can enjoy a time of community among themselves.
  • Common Ground: A twice monthly time designed specifically for both Canadian and International students to meet for discussion, projects and fun stuff. These events can include international festivals and foods, a discussion about cultural issues, games, campfires or BBQ’s. Come, bring a friend and enjoy learning about multiculturalism at Prov. If you would like to be involved, see the International Student Services Coordinator.
10 College Crescent
Otterburne, Manitoba, Canada, R0A 1G0
Phone: (204) 433-7488 or (800) 668-7768
Fax: (204) 433-7158
Copyright @ 2015 Providence
Privacy Policy